Friday, May 16, 2008

Help Me Write a Song

I started writing a song this morning when Sophia was complaining about a stain on her pants. Basically, I told her that nobody really cares about her pants--the world is too narsissistic to notice your pimple. Anyway, I ad libbed something great and, unfortunately, unrepeatable. So, I'm enlisting your help. I'll give you the verses I remember and the chorus (which can be modified) and you go at it.

The main thing I want to capture is that the world is upside down. Right now I'm approaching it as a song that gives advice on how to live in our world from different people's perspectives. But there's also the voice of reason. Help me figure it out.

FYI, the song is no longer for Sophia ( it's playing out too mature for her). At some point I want to work in a line about humanity entering an insanity plea at the Last Judgment.


Welcome to the World You Live In
Chorus:
Welcome to the world you live in
it's broken, but at least it's spinning
we're stuck with it, there are no trade-ins
so we make due, with what we've got

The Workaholic
You've got to wake in the morning
When the neighborhood is still snoring
If you want to get ahead,
get started while your friends are in bed

The secret to increase your pay,
is only to work half a day:
12 hours and then you can play
with the toys from the sweat of your face

CHORUS

The Voice
Look at the folks in all these homes-es
They're trying to keep up with the Jones-es
they're (jokes/living dead), and they'll soon be bones-es
That's not the life for you

CHORUS

The Sexual Revolutioniary
My advice? If it feels good do it.
Don't think twice, if you want to, screw it
Hey, I don't think that Eve blew it,
She was bold. She made a choice.

Who says there's a master plan
that requires me to keep a man?
I'm happy just the way I am
go to hell if you think that I'm sad

CHORUS

The Voice
We give the Pill to all our women,
They're equal now, but who we kiddin?
Their "partners" know they can bed 'em and leave 'em
Alone and bitter and used.

We worship youth, but we kill our babies,
deny the truth and embrace the maybes,
Our sainted dead, we treat like crazies,
meanwhile the War rages on.



CHORUS

That's what I have so far. Feel free to suggest other advice-givers and more from the Voice. In my head it's a little Jamaican-sounding so if that helps, use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CatholicPhoenix.com

I'm posting every couple of weeks at a great new, local Catholic blog called Catholic Phoenix. Here's a link to my latest post .