Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Gospel Reflection 2-13-07

Mark 8:14-21
The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, and they had only one loaf with them in the boat. Jesus enjoined them, "Watch out, guard against the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod." They concluded among themselves that it was because they had no bread. When he became aware of this he said to them, "Why do you conclude that it is because you have no bread? Do you not yet understand or comprehend? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear? And do you not remember, when I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many wicker baskets full of fragments you picked up?" They answered him, "Twelve." "When I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many full baskets of fragments did you pick up?" They answered him, "Seven." He said to them, "Do you still not understand?"

My thoughts:

  • Forgot to bring bread?? Bull. They were getting lazy. Why should we bring bread? Our best friend can turn crickets into chicken and dumplings, why should we pack a lunch? How easy it is for us to forget to do our part. How strong is the pull of the Easy Way...
  • The Easy Way manifests itself as the leaven of the Pharisees and Herod, too. It's funny, but it's true that it's easier to be super religious and put on airs and talk a lot about God than it is to really trust Him. It's easier to rely on daddy's money and power than to lean on Our Father in Heaven.
  • When I think about the leaven of the Pharisees and Herod, I'm reminded of my former job. I got paid really well to teach at a "religious" school, but my soul was flat (the leaven there was no good). It took a long time for my eyes to see and my ears to hear that God had a better plan for me.
  • "Why do you conclude that it is because you have no bread?" I'm sorry, but this question just seems like the kind of thing a wife would say to a husband. And it strikes me as pretty unfair. Of course, Jesus is right and Arowbee is wrong, so I have to read a little closer. Is Jesus saying that not having "bread" (money? food?) is not a curse? That poverty doesn't automatically lead to infidelity? It's interesting that there seems to be a line being walked between faith and presumption (if my first point has any merit). Interesting that Jesus wants to remember his miracles of abundance and still resist the false abundance of the Pharisees and Herod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CatholicPhoenix.com

I'm posting every couple of weeks at a great new, local Catholic blog called Catholic Phoenix. Here's a link to my latest post .