Monday, February 12, 2007

Gospel Reflection 2-12-07

Mark 8:11-13
The Pharisees came forward and began to argue with Jesus, seeking from him a sign from heaven to test him. He sighed from the depth of his spirit and said, "Why does this generation seek a sign? Amen, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation." Then he left them, got into the boat again, and went off to the other shore.

When I read this this morning I was reminded of one of the pseudo-smart high school students I used to teach. He argued that he wouldn't believe anything without proof and I countered that no proof was proof enough for him. He denied this, but when I asked him what it would take he said, "a sign". "Ok," I answered, "what if you looked at the night sky and found written in the stars: 'Dax, Believe in Me--God' Would you believe then?" "No. You can find anything you want in the stars."

Or anything you don't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CatholicPhoenix.com

I'm posting every couple of weeks at a great new, local Catholic blog called Catholic Phoenix. Here's a link to my latest post .