Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Today's Message from Opus Dei

In Opus Dei, they speak of the "heroic moment"--that first moment of
the day when you awake and must choose whether to hit the snooze
button or start the day. They consider it a heroic act to mortify
oneself ("die to self") by getting up immediately and offering your
day to the Lord.

If this is indeed a measure of heroism, I am a villain whose perfidy
may never be fully plumbed.

All kidding aside, I did manage somehow to get out of bed at an
early-esque hour today and I found this in my inbox. Once again, I
think it's good advice.

MESSAGE
October 23, 2007
"Practice meditation for a fixed period and at a fixed time"
Practice meditation for a fixed period and at a fixed time. Otherwise
we would be putting our own convenience first; that would be a lack of
mortification. And prayer without mortification is not at all
effective. (Furrow, 446)

Overcome any sluggishness you may feel, and the false excuse that
prayer can wait for later. Let us never put off this vital source of
grace until tomorrow. Now is the right time. God, who is a loving
spectator of everything we do, watches over our most intimate needs.
You and I, I tell you once again, we need to confide in him as we
might confide in a brother, a friend, a father. Tell him, as I am
telling him now, that he is all greatness, all goodness, all mercy.
Tell him also, 'This is why I want to fall in love with you, despite
my rough manner and poor hands, soiled and ill‑treated by the dust and
grime of this earth'...

Each day without fail we should devote some time specially to God,
raising our minds to him, without any need for the words to come to
our lips, for they are being sung in our heart. Let us give enough
time to this devout practice; at a fixed hour, if possible. Before the
Tabernacle, close to him who has remained there out of Love. If this
is not possible, we can pray anywhere because our God is ineffably
present in the heart of every soul in grace. (Friends of God, 246.249)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CatholicPhoenix.com

I'm posting every couple of weeks at a great new, local Catholic blog called Catholic Phoenix. Here's a link to my latest post .